What is Laryngitis?
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx, the "voice box" that contains the vocal cords in the upper portion of the neck.
In most cases, laryngitis is caused by a viral infection or from straining your voice.
Laryngitis occurs in two forms:
- which lasts only a few days; and ,
- which persists over a period of weeks or months.
Read more about Causes of Laryngitis.
If your hoarseness lasts more than 3 weeks, then seek help from a medical professional.
What Happens in Laryngitis?
QUICK LOOK :
- A voice that tires easily, "breaks" or "cracks"
- Flu like symptoms – Runny Nose, Sneezing, Malaise
- Hoarseness of Voice, sudden aphonia or complete loss of voice.
- Sensation of a lump in the throat
- Raw tickling sensation with constant need to clear the throat.
- Odynophonia (Pain on speaking)
- Odynophagia (Pain on swallowing)
- Difficulty in Breathing
- In Infants - Loud barking cough or Croup, Hoarse cry
What can Laryngitis lead to?
Laryngitis is usually a mild and self limiting illness.
Acute Laryngitis recovers quickly with very rare complications.
In chronic Laryngitis if symptoms persist beyond a certain period of time, for a long duration – it can lead to:
- Damage to the Vocal Cords
- Dysphonia – Overuse of voice can lead to impairment or alteration in voice quality.
- Respiratory Tract Infections: Infection when caused by bacteria like streptococcus is known to spread from larynx – upper respiratory tract to lower down leading to severe diseases like pneumonia.
- Laryngeal Cancer: Prolonged Hoarseness in patients with chronic laryngitis has to be intervened in order to rule out cancerous pathology. However direct link to laryngitis and cancer remains unproven.
How well does Homoeopathy work in Laryngitis?
Laryngitis being an inflammatory condition is excellently treated with our Homoeopathic Medicines with good results.
Homoeopathic Medicines work at a much deeper level by boosting our internal body defenses thereby restoring healthy tissue and promoting healing mechanisms in treatment for laryngitis.
Few of our Amazing Remedies include:
- Argentum Metallicum: Symptoms come on insidiously, lingering, but progress further. This remedy is well indicated for public speakers, singers who tend to develop hoarseness of long duration. There is raw sore feeling when coughing. Total loss of voice in professional singers. Worse from use of voice. Cough from laughing. Cough with easy expectoration which looks like boiled starch. Great weakness of chest, worst left side. Must hem and hawk.
- Argentum Nitricum: Chronic Hoarseness. High notes cause cough. Suffocative cough with sensation of a hair in throat. Patient has difficulty in breathing along with a spinter like sensation in throat. Strangulated feeling. Excessive build-up of mucous in smokers. Indicated in singers with too much voice strain. Desire for sweets, sugar and fresh open air.
- Arum Triphyllum: Good remedy for laryngitis when acridity is the main symptom. Raw and sore feeling at the roof and palate. Hoarseness along with constricted feeling and swollen throat. There is expectoration of much mucus.
- Causticum: Laryngitis with slow gradual progress of paralysis of vocal cords. Rawness, soreness and burning are characteristic symptoms of this remedy. Hoarseness with pain in the chest. There is loss of voice. Difficulty of voice of singers and public speakers.